SURPLUS VEHICLE SALES PROGRAM
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: When do these cars become available for purchase by the public?
A: During the first 30 days after DPS vehicles have been retired from service those that are deemed to meet a fair, good, or excellent standard are offered first to other law enforcement and publicly funded agencies. If after 30 days they do not sell they will be auctioned along with other DPS vehicles meeting a less than fair condition standard and those that are inoperable due to mechanical failure or accident damage. American Auto Auction Atlanta has contracted with the State of
A: The following details are provided for each vehicle
- 3,000-Mile service intervals on all vehicles that were used for patrol
- 5,000-Mile service intervals other vehicles
- Maintenance records included
- Competitively priced
- Added enforcement equipment such as partition cages, blue lights and push bumpers are optional is some instances (available to enforcement agencies only).
A: Dodge Chargers, Chevrolet Tahoes & Impalas, Suburbans and trucks, Ford trucks and Crown Victoria Police Package cars and occasionally Harley Police Motorcycles.
A. There are many colors available at various times. All vehicles have the decals removed and have been detailed.
A: The cars available for other government sales will typically have from 110,000 to 165,000 miles and those available to the public auction will have from 165,000 to 200,000 miles. As the program progresses the mileages will begin to be reduced.
A: No. They are purchased as is. However, every effort is made to ensure they are in good condition when sold. Each car goes through a comprehensive protocol of inspection, service, cleaning, and detailing prior to sale. Any known defects are disclosed before purchase.
Q: What is the process to purchase a car?
- Other government sale vehicles are displayed at DPS Headquarters located at 959 East Confederate Avenue in Atlanta. These vehicles are offered on first come, first served basis. Payment must be rendered at the time of sale. All sales are final. Cashier's check, money orders, or cash are accepted and must be paid at the time the car is sold. No two-party checks can be accepted. This sale is held every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. Titles are available when the transaction is complete.
The operable vehicles offered at the public/dealer auction are sold to the highest bidder at the American Auto Auction Atlanta every 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. If there are any inoperable vehicles, they will be sold at the auction on the 2nd Friday of each monthTitles are provided at the time of sale once payment is rendered. American Auto Auction Atlanta is located at 444 Joe Frank Harris Parkway in Cartersville, GA. Their contact information is phone: (770) 382-1010 fax: (770) 382-1080. The dealer/public sales are held every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. (EST).