MCCD Officer Cadet (17805)
Annual Salary Minimum: $25,242 (as a Cadet)
$28,600 (upon completion of the POST mandate school)
Annual Salary Maximum: N/A
Duties & Responsibilities: Under immediate supervision and within a progressive training capacity, acquires knowledge and experience necessary to enforce applicable State and Federal laws, rules and regulations governing commercial motor vehicle and the transportation of hazardous materials. Operates and monitors electronic equipment at an inspection facility. DPS offers a number of opportunities for specialized assignments for Motor Carrier Compliance officers throughout their career.
Upon successful completion of P.O.S.T. Mandate Training and becoming P.O.S.T. certified as a Law Enforcement Officer:
- Checks commercial motor vehicles for appropriate registration, fuel tax permits, over dimensional permits, and bills of lading;
- Enforces state laws with special emphasis on statutes relating to the operation of commercial vehicles on public roads.
- Exercises the powers generally authorized by the State of Georgia for law enforcement officers when in the performance of assigned duties as specified in O.C.G.A. 35-2-101.
- Receives instruction in the use of portable scales and other equipment to detect and identify commercial motor vehicle violations in an assigned geographical area, utilizing portable scales and other equipment to detect and identify commercial motor vehicle violations.
- Receives instruction in monitoring traffic and enforcing laws pertaining to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes through designated areas.
Minimum Training & Experience: Applicant must be 18 years of age or older, possess a valid driver's license, a citizen of the United States, possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
Applicants must also successfully pass the pre-employment process which includes completion background investigation and polygraph (click here to view the employment disqualifiers) , oral interview, psychological evaluation, medical evaluation, and meet other requirements for certification as a peace officer by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council (P.O.S.T.).
Medical Standards: Vision: minimum vision of 20/100 uncorrected in each eye, and corrected to 20/40 or better in both eyes with glasses or contact lenses. Additional medical standards must be met prior to final offer of employment.
Physical Standards: A Physical Fitness Assessment will be conducted as one of the steps in the hiring process.
Preferred Qualifications: One-year sworn or non-sworn law enforcement experience or one year of college education.
The Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Directions on applying for MCCD Officer Cadet:
1. Download the State of Georgia application for employment list job code (17805).
Please mail all applications to:
Department of Public Safety
Human Resources Division
P. O. Box 1456
Atlanta, GA 30371
or fax: 404-624-7546
For more information about this job contact: