Q: How do I obtain a traffic crash report?
A: Georgia law specifies who may obtain a traffic crash report. Please click the following link for Georgia's Open Records Act, O.C.G.A. Section 50-18-72 (a)(5).
If the crash was investigated by the Georgia State Patrol, you may contact a local State Patrol Post or the Open Records Unit. To request a Georgia State Patrol crash report, please fill out the attached form and include it with your request.
For all other crash reports, please contact the Crash Reporting Unit for the Georgia Department of Transportation.
Q: How do I obtain photographs or other records related to my crash or incident?
A: To obtain records from the Georgia Department of Public Safety, please direct your Open Records Act requests (under O.C.G.A. 50-18-70) to:
Georgia Department of Public Safety
Attn: Open Records Unit
P.O. Box 1456
Atlanta, GA 30371
Fax your request to (404) 624-7529
When submitting your request, please provide:
- Your full name
- Your mailing address
- Your contact telephone number (and fax number if available)
- The names of the subjects or victims of the investigation or report
- The records being requested
- The Georgia county or city where the incident occurred
- The date of the investigation or incident associated with your request
- The crash report number or incident report number, if known
All records requests are subject to the Georgia Open Records Act and may result in the requestor being billed for the requested information. For billing information, please see the following link: Charging for Requests. If you have questions, contact the DPS Open Records Unit at 404-624-7591.