• How do I obtain a traffic crash report?

    Georgia law specifies who may obtain a traffic crash report.  Please click the following link for Georgia's Open Records Act, O.C.G.A. Section 50-18-72 (a)(5).

    If the crash was investigated by the Georgia State Patrol, you may contact a local State Patrol Post or the Open Records Unit.  To request a Georgia State Patrol crash report, please fill out the attached Open Records Request form and include it with your request.  This form serves to assist the Georgia Department of Public Safety (“DPS”) in efficiently locating and providing responsive documentation for a DPS incident report, citation, or crash report.  DPS does not require its use.   

    For all other crash reports, please contact the Crash Reporting Unit for the Georgia Department of Transportation.

  • How do I obtain photographs or other records related to my crash or incident?

    To obtain records from the Georgia Department of Public Safety, please direct your Open Records Act requests (under O.C.G.A. 50-18-70) to DPS Open Records Unit.

    When submitting your request, please provide:

    • Your full name
    • Your mailing address
    • Your contact telephone number (and fax number if available)
    • The names of the subjects or victims of the investigation or report
    • The records being requested
    • The Georgia county or city where the incident occurred
    • The date of the investigation or incident associated with your request
    • The crash report number or incident report number, if known 

    All records requests are subject to the Georgia Open Records Act and may result in the requestor being billed for the requested information. For billing information, please see the following link: Charging for Requests

    If you have questions, contact the DPS Open Records Unit.


    Open Records Unit

    Mail to

    P.O. Box 1456
    Attention: Open Records Unit
    Atlanta, GA 30371