Job Vacancy Announcement- Employee Relations Specialist - Human Resources Division
Job Vacancy Announcement: Employee Relations Specialist (Human Resources Division)
Location: Department of Public Safety Headquarters – Atlanta, GA
Pay Grade: K
Job Code: HRP011
Pay Grade Salary Range: $36,268.09-$63,469.15
The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the day-to-day operation of the Georgia State Patrol (GSP), Capitol Police and the Motor Carrier Compliance Division (MCCD). We currently have a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an Employee Relations Specialist in the Human Resources Division.
DPS Human Resources provides a full array of services including recruitment and employment, job development and compensation analysis, policy consultation, personnel and benefits processing, management and employee relations, background screening and career development for 1500+ employees.
The Employee Relations Specialist is responsible for leading efforts in human resource investigations, grievance investigations, EEOC/GCEO responses, unemployment insurance defense and other special projects that arise within the Division. This position reports to the Deputy HR Director.
This position is perfect for a candidate with who seeks a challenging opportunity to support our heroes in law enforcement who are working hard to ensure a safe Georgia, while working on a wide variety of employee issues that impact our workplace and culture. DPS has just broken ground on a new Headquarters Building, so this is an exciting time to join our department.
The selected applicant must pass a pre-employment background investigation. This includes a review of criminal, driver’s and credit history. No polygraph examination is required for this position.
- Leads and provides consultation for a wide variety of special projects assigned to the Human Resources Division.
- Formulates and recommends program goals and objectives in all areas of management and employee relations.
- Working closely with the DPS legal staff, provides consultation, advice and assistance to management on matters related to employee relations to ensure compliance with departmental policies, and federal & state employment laws.
- Conducts investigations and provides recommendations to leadership.
- Prepares the department’s response to requests related to employment charges & unemployment insurance requests.
- Provides input into the development and revision of personnel related policies and procedures.
- Maintains exit interview program and discusses exit interview findings with HR leadership.
- Assists, when needed, with employment and recruitment.
Successful candidates must be able to demonstrate proficiency in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations, and plans of action. Candidates must also have the ability to effectively plan and prioritize multiple assignments to meet established deadlines.
Required Personal Characteristics:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
- High integrity and honesty.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion.
- Strong commitment to providing excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university OR Four years of human resource experience.
- PHR/SPHR and/or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification
- Demonstrated experience advising management regarding employee relations and employment law issues and representing the organization in informal and formal administrative hearing sessions.
- Possess a well-developed knowledge of federal and state laws, rules and regulations as related to employee relations/employee discipline issues.
- Experience in conducting training/presentations.
- Experience in policy & procedure development.
- HR Generalist experience
Application deadline: This position will remain open until filled.
Instructions to apply for this position:
2. Accept the Privacy Agreement
3. Log-in to the system
First time logging in? :
Your username is your TeamWorks (PeopleSoft) Employee ID.
The initial password will be the last four digits of your Social Security, followed by the first four letters of your last name, in upper case (ALL CAPS). You will then be asked to change your password.
4. Once you access your account, you will then see the job announcement. Click on “Apply now” and follow the steps needed to create your profile and upload your résumé.
5. If you have any questions or problems, please contact Human Resources at 404-624-7553 or email [email protected].
Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted. This is an unclassified position unless filled by a classified employee.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, natural origin, age, disability or genetic information.