DPS Mail Room Clerk
Job Code: GSS081
Pay Grade: D
Salary Range: $23,611 to $36,639
Location: Headquarters – Planning & Research Unit
The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the day-to-day operation of the Georgia State Patrol (GSP), Capitol Police and the Motor Carrier Compliance Division (MCCD).
We are currently seeking a reliable and detail-oriented individual to join our team as a Mailroom Clerk. This newly created position will play a vital role in ensuring the efficient and smooth operation of the mailroom services in our newly built Headquarters building.
- Sorting and Distribution: Sort incoming mail, packages, and other deliveries based on the designated departments or individuals. Distribute mail promptly and accurately to the appropriate recipients, ensuring confidentiality and privacy are maintained.
- Processing Outgoing Mail: Prepare outgoing mail, including letters, packages, and parcels, for delivery to the postal service or courier. Ensure all items are properly addressed, labeled, and packaged. Coordinate with shipping providers to schedule pickups and track outgoing shipments.
- Mail Tracking and Logging: Maintain accurate records of all incoming and outgoing mail, packages, and correspondence. Utilize tracking systems, software, or manual logs to record and monitor the status of mail items. Notify recipients of incoming packages or registered mail.
- Mailroom Organization: Keep the mailroom clean, organized, and well-maintained. Arrange mail, packages, and supplies in designated areas for easy access and retrieval. Ensure all mailroom equipment, such as postage meters, scanners, and mail-sorting machines, are properly maintained and serviced.
- Supply Management: Monitor and restock mailroom supplies, such as envelopes, labels, postage stamps, and packaging materials. Place orders for necessary supplies in a timely manner to ensure an uninterrupted flow of mailroom operations.
- Mailroom Assistance: Assist colleagues or employees with inquiries related to mailroom services. Provide guidance on proper packaging, addressing, and mailing procedures. Offer friendly and professional customer service to all individuals interacting with the mailroom.
- Safety and Security: Adhere to all safety and security protocols, including the handling of sensitive or confidential mail. Follow established procedures for identifying and addressing suspicious packages or mail items. Cooperate with security personnel to maintain a secure mailroom environment.
Selected applicant must pass a pre-employment background investigation. This includes a review of criminal, driver’s, and credit history. No polygraph examination is required for this position.
High School diploma or GED AND Two years of general office or administrative experience.
- Prior experience in mailroom services.
Application deadline: June 11, 2023
Instructions for current state employees to apply for this position:
Accept the Privacy Agreement
- Log-in to the system
First time logging in? :
Your username is your TeamWorks (PeopleSoft) Employee ID.
The initial password will be the last four digits of your Social Security, followed by the first four letters of your last name, in upper case (ALL CAPS). You will then be asked to change your password.
- Once you access your account, you will then see the job announcement. Click on “Apply now” and follow the steps needed to create your profile and upload your résumé.
- If you have any questions or problems, please contact Human Resources at 404-624-7553 or email [email protected].
Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted. This is an unclassified position unless filled by a classified employee.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, natural origin, age, disability or genetic information.