Job Vacancy Announcement: Attorney 3
Job Vacancy Announcement: Attorney 3
Location: Georgia Department of Public Safety Headquarters – Atlanta (Fulton County)
Job Code – LEP022
Pay Grade – M
Salary range: $65,000-$85,000
The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the day-to-day operation of the Georgia State Patrol (GSP), Capitol Police and the Motor Carrier Compliance Division (MCCD). We currently have a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an Attorney 3 in the Legal Services Division. This position offers a qualified lawyer with an exciting career opportunity in public safety, with a work-life balance.
The Legal Services Office provides assistance to the Commissioner and to the employees of the Department concerning matters associated with the daily operations of the Department and serves as the primary liaison with the Office of the Attorney General. This position reports to the agency’s Director of Legal Services.
This position is perfect for candidates who seek a challenging opportunity to work on a wide variety of issues that impact public safety, including regularly serving as the agency representative in administrative hearings.
- Serves as legal resource for matters handled by the Motor Carrier Compliance Division, including household goods and nonconsensual towing permitting and regulations.
- Serves as agency representative in administrative hearings, including overweight citations.
- Reviews completed investigations of complaints relating to improper use of speed detection device permits and emergency light permits for further determination.
- Serves as legal resource for matters relating to wrecker services utilized by Georgia State Patrol Posts and other elements of the Department in accordance with Department policy.
- Serves as legal resource for questions of internal and external customers concerning issues of public safety and the operations of the Department.
- Provides verbal and written analysis, answers, or recommendations regarding all aspects of daily operations of the department, including legal, liability and risk management issues.
- Drafts or assists in drafting a monthly legal update of cases impacting issues related to the department’s mission.
- Identifies and resolves, or assists in the resolution of, legal problems.
- Researches and analyzes current statutory, regulatory, and case law affecting the Department.
- Assists the Director and Deputy Director with drafting, managing, and reviewing proposed legislation and regulations and providing necessary updates to management team.
- Assists the Director and Deputy Director with assignments related to contracts, property, open records, litigation, and employment matters.
- Maintains knowledge of trends and changes in laws and court decisions related to the mission of the department.
- Teaches classes on a variety of topics which may relate to legal and non-legal topics.
Required Personal Characteristics:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to identify and analyze problems
- High level of self-motivation
- Good time-management skills
- Ability to teach classes to non-lawyers
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritize multiple projects to meet established deadlines
- Ability to effectively interact and provide support and guidance to agency leaders
- High integrity and honesty
- Strong commitment to providing superior customer service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion
- Positive attitude and a high-level of personal commitment
Selected applicant must pass a pre-employment background investigation. This includes a review of criminal, driver’s and credit history. No polygraph examination is required for this position.
Juris Doctorate from an accredited college or university AND license to practice law in the State of Georgia OR eligibility to sit for the next Georgia Bar examination followed by Georgia Bar exam passage and licensure to practice law in the State of Georgia within one (1) year of hiring OR reciprocity AND Two years of relevant legal experience OR Two years of experience required at the lower-level Attorney 2 (LEP021)
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia
- Government experience – preference to those with government legal experience
- Familiarity with state government structure and operations
- One year of experience in one or more areas: criminal prosecutions, administrative hearings, contract drafting and review, drafting and review of state legislation and/or regulations, representation of government agency
Application deadline: Open until filled
Instructions to apply for this position:
Accept the Privacy Agreement
2. Log-in to the system
First time logging in? :
Your username is your TeamWorks (PeopleSoft) Employee ID.
The initial password will be the last four digits of your Social Security, followed by the first four letters of your last name, in upper case (ALL CAPS). You will then be asked to change your password.
3. Once you access your account, you will then see the job announcement. Click on “Apply now” and follow the steps needed to create your profile and upload your résumé.
4. If you have any questions or problems, please contact Human Resources at 404-624-7553 or email [email protected].
Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted. This is an unclassified position unless filled by a classified employee. The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, natural origin, age, disability or genetic information