Important Updates Regarding COVID-19/Executive Order
The statewide executive order for empowering a healthy Georgia will extend through April 30. This order affects all Georgia residents and visitors. Review the following: COVID-19 Updates
Job Vacancy Announcement: Attorney Manager
Job Vacancy Announcement: Attorney Manager
Location: Georgia Department of Public Safety Headquarters – Atlanta (Fulton County)
Job Code – LEM020
Pay Grade – N
Expected Hiring Range : $70,000 to $80,000
The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the day-to-day operation of the Georgia State Patrol (GSP), Capitol Police and the Motor Carrier Compliance Division (MCCD). We currently have a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an Attorney Manager in the Legal Services Division. This position offers a qualified lawyer with an exciting career opportunity in public safety.
The Legal Services Office provides assistance to the Commissioner and to the employees of the Department concerning matters associated with the daily operations of the Department and serves as the primary liaison with the Office of the Attorney General.
The available position is for an Attorney Manager of the Department’s Open Records Unit and will report to the Legal Services Director. This position is perfect for a candidate with prior management and litigation experience, who seeks a challenging opportunity to work on a wide variety of issues that impact public safety.
- Serves as the attorney manager of the Department’s Open Records Unit.
- Provides verbal and written analysis of work performed by Unit employees.
- Serves to improve customer-based programs, training of unit employees, tracking of requests and unit practices to successfully respond to a high volume of open records requests.
- Provides working, effective knowledge of the Georgia Open Records Act as it applies to the Department.
- Responds and provides effective problem-solving practices and skilled communications for difficult requests and difficult requestors, as elevated to management from Unit employees.
- Oversees all aspects of the daily operations of the Open Records Unit.
- Teaches classes on a variety of issues which may relate to legal and non-legal topics.
- Assists the Director and Deputy Director with resolution of legal problems.
- Serves as legal resource for complaints of internal and external customers concerning open records issues.
- Receives, identifies, and accurately responds to non-party discovery requests and litigation subpoenas, while identifying potential problems, timely responsiveness, as well as seeking any necessary guidance and protection afforded by the Georgia Attorney General’s Office.
- Serves as agency representative in administrative hearings, including overweight citations and non-consensual towing rotations and assignments.
- Maintains knowledge of trends and changes in laws and court decisions related to the mission of the department.
Required Personal Characteristics:
- Excellent management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to identify and analyze problems
- High level of self-motivation
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to teach classes to non-lawyers
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritize multiple projects to meet established deadlines
- Ability to effectively interact and provide support and guidance to agency leaders
- High integrity and honesty
- Strong commitment to providing superior customer service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion
- Positive attitude and a high-level of personal commitment
Juris Doctorate from an accredited college or university AND licensed to practice law in Georgia AND Two years of related legal experience.
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia
- Familiarity with state government structure and operations
- Management of employees
- Two years of experience in one or more areas: criminal prosecutions, civil litigation, administrative hearings, management of more than five employees, representation of government agency
Application deadline: Ongoing
Instructions to apply for this position:
Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted. This is an unclassified position unless filled by a classified employee. The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, natural origin, age, disability or genetic information.