Job Vacancy Announcement- Deputy Attorney Manager
Job Vacancy Announcement: Deputy Attorney Manager
Location: Georgia Department of Public Safety Headquarters – Atlanta (Fulton County)
Job Code – LEP022
Pay Grade – M
Expected Hiring Range : $65,000 to $85,000
The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the day-to-day operations of the Georgia State Patrol (GSP), Capitol Police, and the Motor Carrier Compliance Division (MCCD). We currently have a challenging and rewarding opportunity for a Deputy Attorney Manager, within the Legal Services Division. This position offers a qualified lawyer with an exciting career opportunity in public safety.
The Legal Services Office provides assistance to the Commissioner and to the employees of the Department concerning matters associated with the daily operations of the Department and serves as the primary liaison with the Office of the Attorney General.
The available position is for a Deputy Attorney Manager of the Department’s Open Records Unit and will report to the Attorney Manager, who reports to the Legal Director. This position is perfect for a candidate with prior management and litigation experience, who seeks a challenging opportunity to work on a wide variety of issues that impact public safety.
- Assists the Attorney Manager of the Department’s Open Records Unit.
- Undertakes and assists with training and supervision of Unit employees, tracking of requests, and Unit practices to successfully respond to a high volume of open records requests.
- Provides legal analysis and working, effective knowledge of the Georgia Open Records Act as it applies to the Department.
- Undertakes and assists with processing of complex requests and sensitive requests, including personnel records and internal investigations.
- Oversees and assists with locating, gathering, and tracking the receipt of requested records from the Department’s statewide divisions and units to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Conducts accurate legal analysis to ensure Unit redaction of all information that is protected according to state and federal law. Records that require review and redaction include paper documents, electronic files, photographs, videos, and audio files.
- Responds to and provides effective problem-solving practices and skilled communications for difficult requests and difficult requestors, as elevated to management from Unit employees.
- Serve as a legal resource for complaints of internal and external customers concerning open records issues.
- Receives, identifies, and accurately responds to non-party discovery requests and litigation subpoenas, while identifying potential problems, timely responsiveness, as well as seeking any necessary guidance and protection afforded by the Georgia Attorney General’s Office.
- Maintains knowledge of trends and changes in laws and court decisions related to the mission of the Department.
Required Personal Characteristics:
- Excellent management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to identify and analyze problems
- High level of self-motivation
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritize multiple projects to meet established deadlines
- High integrity and honesty
- Strong commitment to providing superior customer service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion
- Positive attitude and a high-level of personal commitment
Juris Doctorate from an accredited college or university AND licensed to practice law in Georgia OR reciprocity AND more than One year of relevant legal experience OR Two years of experience required at the level of Attorney 2 (LEP021).
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia
- Familiarity with state government structure and operations
- Management of employees
- More than one year of experience in one or more areas: criminal prosecutions, civil litigation, administrative hearings, management of more than five employees, representation of government agency
Application deadline: Open until filled
Instructions for current state employees to apply for this position:
Accept the Privacy Agreement
- Log-in to the system
First time logging in? :
Your username is your TeamWorks (PeopleSoft) Employee ID.
The initial password will be the last four digits of your Social Security, followed by the first four letters of your last name, in upper case (ALL CAPS). You will then be asked to change your password.
- Once you access your account, you will then see the job announcement. Click on “Apply now” and follow the steps needed to create your profile and upload your résumé.
- If you have any questions or problems, please contact Human Resources at 404-624-7553 or email [email protected].
This is an unclassified position unless filled by a classified employee. Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, natural origin, age, disability or genetic information.