Important Updates Regarding COVID-19/Executive Order
The statewide executive order for empowering a healthy Georgia will extend through April 30. This order affects all Georgia residents and visitors. Review the following: COVID-19 Updates
Job Vacancy Announcement- Telecommunications Specialist 1
Job Vacancy Announcement
Position Title: Telecommunications Specialist 1
Location: Headquarters- Atlanta
Pay grade: H – Job Code: ITP070
Salary Minimum: $27,248.75
The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the day-to-day operation of the Georgia State Patrol (GSP), Capitol Police and the Motor Carrier Compliance Division (MCCD).
We currently have a challenging and rewarding opportunity for a Telecommunications Specialist 1 in the Communications Division of the Administrative Services Division.
The Communications Division is responsible for providing statewide two-way radio communications; where they install, troubleshoot, and repair radio and mobile camera equipment. Coordinating Tower Projects and repairs, Radio Programming, Assisting DPS and 911 Communication Centers, field programming of equipment, assisting other Agencies with radio communication and management of the Georgia Interoperability Network (GIN).
This position is perfect for candidates who seek a challenging opportunity to serve the citizens of Georgia while providing critical support to the sworn officers within the department. This position will provide a challenging opportunity without compromising work/life balance, and includes an excellent benefits package.
A typical workday includes, but is not limited to:
- Under supervision, performs the installation, repair, and planning of telephone, radio, data, video and voice and data processing telecommunications systems.
- Systems may include voice transmission, cellular capabilities, data communication, cable-to-modem communication, and satellite communication capabilities.
- Performs work involved in developing, refining and complying with telecommunications systems planning.
- Ensure new construction and renovations meet both industry cabling standards/codes and specifications.
- Maintain and controls operational access to communications computer terminals.
- Maintains circuit quality relative to message volume and terminal count by specific data communication circuits.
- Maintains security and privacy of information found in databases.
- Maintains service for access to data files.
- Plans, manages and monitors the operation of communications systems.
- Researches and develops specifications for systems design, wiring plans and installation.
- Receives additional training, as required, to gain full proficiency and experience in all areas.
Associate's degree in a related field from an accredited college or university AND One year of experience OR Three years of related experience OR One year at the lower level Telecommunications Tech Spv (ITT043) or position equivalent.
- Must have or obtain either CDL Class B or Non CDL Class F license within 1 year.
- One year of experience in programming, installation and troubleshooting statewide land mobile radio (LMR) systems and equipment, to include radio gateway devices.
- Obtain certification as a Communications Technician (COMT) and Communications Unit Leader (COML) under the National Incident Management System (NIMS) by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within 2 years of employment.
Instructions to apply for this position:
Deadline to apply: Thursday, April 8, 2021
This is an unclassified position unless filled by a classified employee. Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, natural origin, age, disability or genetic information.