Job Vacancy Announcement - Weight Inspector - Region 1/Catoosa County
Job Vacancy Announcement- Weight Inspector
Location: Region 1/Catoosa County
Paygrade E- Job Code – PST060
Annual Salary: $25,836.00
Motor Carrier Compliance Division
MCCD conducts safety inspections of commercial motor vehicles (primarily trucks and buses), inspects highway shipments of hazardous materials, and performs compliance reviews (safety performance audits) on motor carriers. The Department adopts and enforces driver and vehicle safety regulations and hazardous materials regulations as part of this program.
DPS is currently accepting applications for the rewarding and challenging position of Weight Inspector. Want to provide a highly valued service to the State of Georgia? No experience required! Great rewards and benefits! Help protect Georgia’s infrastructure and enforce laws governing commercial vehicles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Engages in weighing, measuring, and inspecting trucks and other heavy equipment to enforce laws governing their weight, dimensions, load security, license plates and registrations.
1. Uses automated scales and measuring devices to determine weight of commercial vehicles and cargo.
2. Calculates weights of those vehicles according to weight law formulas.
3. Determines amounts of penalties for weight violations and issues appropriate citations.
4. Inspects license plates, vehicle identification numbers and registration certificates of vehicles for expiration, improper weight classification and/or inconsistencies.
5. Checks vehicles for compliance with or violation of fuel tax requirements and issues civil citations when violations are detected.
6. Scans vehicles visually for equipment defects.
7. Notifies appropriate law enforcement personnel of any noted suspected violations.
8. Reviews special permits issued for certain oversize/overweight vehicles for compliance with permit provisions.
9. Initiates impound procedures for vehicles with delinquent violations.
10. Maintains records and prepares reports on all vehicles checked, weighed and assessed.
11. Completes required reports for all citations involving permit and licensing violations, impounded vehicles and protested cases.
12. Operates communication and computer equipment.
13. Renders reasonable aid to general public.
14. Reports needed facility/equipment repair to the appropriate supervisor.
Minimum Training & Experience:
Must be 18 years old. Have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Applicants must successfully complete the pre-employment process which includes:
- Oral Interview
- Background Review
- Prior work experience in positions requiring customer service skills.
- Use of mathematical applications is preferred.
Instructions to apply for this position:
Application deadline: Tuesday, November 23, 2021
This is an unclassified position unless filled by a classified employee. Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted.
The Georgia Department of Public Safety is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees and applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, natural origin, age, disability or genetic information.