Important Updates Regarding COVID-19/Executive Order
The statewide executive order for empowering a healthy Georgia will extend through April 30. This order affects all Georgia residents and visitors. Review the following: COVID-19 Updates
FAQs: Weight Inspector (MCCD)
Where will I be working?
MCCD has nine Inspection Station locations in the State of Georgia.
- Region 1- Catoosa County – Ringgold, GA
- Region 2 -Franklin County – Lavonia, GA
- Region 3 -Douglas County - Lithia Springs, GA
- Region 3 -Carroll County – Temple, GA
- Region 4 -Columbia County – Harlem, GA
- Region 5 -Troup County – LaGrange, GA
- Region 6 -Monroe County – Forsyth, GA
- Region 7- Bryan County – Ellabell, GA
- Region 8 -Lowndes County – Hahira, GA
- Region 9- McIntosh County – Darien, GA
What is the hiring process?
The hiring process consists of the following steps:
- Polygraph Examination
- Background Investigation
- Oral Interview
Is there an age requirement to become a Weight Inspector?
The age requirement is 18 years or older.
Do you require any previous experience to become a Weight Inspector?
No previous experience is required.
What hours will I be working?
The Weight Inspection Stations are open 24 hours daily, seven days per week and require staffing of Weight Inspectors during those hours.
What kind of tests will I be required to take?
There are no required tests.
Is there any opportunity for advancement?
Weight Inspector 2 after two years at Level 1. Weight Inspectors may apply for MCCD Officer Cadet positions.
What is the pay?
The salary for Weight Inspectors is $25,836.00 annually.
How often are pay raises given?
There is no set frequency for pay raises. As with all state employees, pay raises are granted by the Georgia General Assembly and are not guaranteed at any interval.
What benefits will I receive?
State employees are offered access to health insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, dental insurance and many more benefits including a retirement plan. All state employees receive sick leave in the amount of ten hours per month. State employees also receive annual leave in differing amounts based on the number of years employed with the state. Minimum amount is ten hours per month going up to 14 hours per month.
Will I be required to work shifts? Weekends? Holidays?
Motor Carrier Compliance Weight Inspector is a 24/7-365 days per year job. We are open nights, weekends and holidays. Schedules are made at each Region Inspection Station and staffing levels are set to meet the needs of the department on any given shift. Everyone is usually required to work different shifts.
What is involved in the background process?
The Background Investigator will:
- Contact references
- Contact past and present employers
- Resolve any issues that may come to light during the background investigation
- Conduct a background interview with each candidate
- All applicants must submit to a polygraph examination.
- The examination will be at Headquarters or Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Atlanta or Field Offices.
How long does the background process take?
The background process takes a varying length of time. Background packets are distributed to specially trained background investigators in your area. Depending on many factors, including the number of backgrounds to be completed, the extensiveness of the background, etc. the background could take from a few days to a few weeks.
Why does it take so long to get an interview?
The interview is typically the final step in the process. Interviews are only held when a position is actually available. This time period will vary. You will be contacted by Human Resources if chosen to interview for a position.
Is there a training process?
Yes. The Weight Inspector is required to become certified and is provided the necessary training to obtain this certification.
How can I check the status of my application?
You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can I contact about questions when completing the background packet?
You can call us at (404) 624-7553.
What are the job duties performed by a Weight Inspector?
Job duties performed by a Weight Inspector include:
- Weighing and measuring trucks/trailers.
- Issuing citations
- Providing quality customer service to truck drivers.
Does a Weight Inspector carry a weapon?
What regions are you hiring for?
Each of the nine Regions has a designated staffing level. We post all vacancies immediately.
What type of clothing will I be required to wear?
Once you have completed your “Working Test”, you will be issued uniform pants and shirts. You will be required to purchase your own black belt, black socks and black shoes to complete your uniform. Prior to this time, you may wear “Business Casual” clothing. This may include khaki pants, button up or golf type shirt, casual shoes, etc. Jeans and collarless shirts are not permitted.
Does the department pay for required uniforms?
Uniform pants and shirts will be issued once you have satisfactorily completed your working test. Purchases of a black belt, black socks and black shoes are at the expense of the employee.
What is the tattoo and facial hair policy?
The DPS Uniform and Appearance policy has changed to allow applicants with some visible tattoos in a short sleeve uniform to wear a long sleeve uniform shirt.
Applicants with tattoos or brands will be disqualified for either of the following:
- Tattoos/brands that depict or support criminal behavior, drug usage, nudity, profanity, promiscuity, subversive groups, bigotry, etc.
- Tattoos/brands on the neck, face, head, hands, and fingers that are visible while on duty and/or in a long sleeve uniform shirt. Tattoos on the arm must not be below the crease of the wrist. Exceptions include tattoos/brands that are covered by one ring per hand, or by a watch band on either the left or right wrist. Uniform members with tattoos visible in a short sleeve uniform shirt (generally, below the crease of the arm and tip of the elbow) will wear the class A uniform (long sleeve shirt).
DPS does not allow the use of a long sleeve cover-up to hide any visible body art, tattoos, brands, or images that are visible in the short sleeve uniform.
No facial hair is permitted.
Are there different levels established for Weight Inspectors?
- Weight Inspector 1 - Entry Level
- Weight Inspector 2 - Senior Level after two years
Is law enforcement experience or knowledge of commercial vehicles required?