Governor Kemp Announces Newly Appointed DPS Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner
(ATLANTA) – Governor Brian P. Kemp and the Board of Public Safety approved the appointments for the Georgia Department of Public Safety Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner during a call-in meeting today, Sept. 30. Colonel Chris C. Wright will serve as the new DPS Commissioner. Lt. Colonel William W. Hitchens, III will serve as Deputy Commissioner.
Commissioner Wright appointed the following members of the new Command Staff:
- Lt. Colonel Stephanie L. Stallings will serve as Director of the Support/Administrative Operations.
- Major Joshua Lamb will serve as Chief of Staff.
- Major Kendrick Lowe will serve as the North Adjutant of the Georgia State Patrol.
- Major Robert Balkcom will serve as the South Adjutant of the Georgia State Patrol.
- Major Mark Perry will serve as the Headquarters Adjutant.
- Major Al Whitworth will serve as the Special Operations Adjutant.
"The appointments approved today were made only after careful consideration of the qualifications of each person," Colonel Wright said. I am confident each member of the Command Staff will provide quality leadership to the Department in the coming years.”
“On behalf of the Department of Public Safety, I would like to thank Colonel Gary Vowell for his time and his service to the department these past months,” Colonel Wright added. Since Feb. 19, Colonel Gary Vowell served as Interim Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety.
Bios and photos are attached.